Mum’s sepsis horror after ‘botched’ op saw gastric band ‘burst through stomach’

A mum thought she was going to die from sepsis after an alleged botched surgery saw her gastric band burst through her stomach, she claims.

Christina Adamson, 35, saved for years for the weight loss operation after struggling to shift the pounds following the birth of her children.

But the mum, from Paisley, Scotland, said she started suffering from a severe infection weeks after having the procedure at private clinic Ross Hall Hospital in Glasgow.

Christina feared she would never see her sons again after she was taken in for emergency surgery when the £6,000 procedure went horribly wrong.

Now recovering at home, the mum said she feels lucky to be alive and wants to encourage others to think hard before resorting to drastic measures to lose weight.

Christina said: “It’s been a nightmare. I wish I’d researched more about it.

“I thought I would be safe because I was in Scotland and I’d paid a decent price and not taken the route of going abroad. I’m devastated but happy to be here. I thought I was going to die.”

Christina struggled to lose weight after the births of her sons Kailan, seven, and Sonny, five, and began saving for the surgery three years ago.

She underwent the operation in August and was initially delighted with the results.

The mum said: “I thought it was going to be the magic wand I needed. Everything was textbook for six weeks and I lost two-and-a-half stone. I was delighted.

“I went to an appointment where they tighten it by injecting saline. It was awkward and painful and from there, I had the worst infection ever.”

Medics at Ross Hall, operated by BMI Healthcare, prescribed antibiotics but the infection gradually got worse.

Christina said: “I was feeling terrible. I was burning up and had a lump the size of a fist underneath my skin. A month later, I woke up and my wound had burst open and a wire was hanging out of my body.

“It saved my life that it popped out. If it hadn’t, I would have continued to take tablets.”

Earlier this month, the mum underwent surgery at Wishaw General Hospital to remove the band and to try to clear out the infection.

She said: “They had to remove it – they said it would kill me because the infection was so severe.

“First they injected me with an antibiotic and I took anaphylactic shock. That gave me the fright of my life.

“When they told me I had sepsis and they needed to get it out of my body, I said, ‘Please don’t let me die’. I thought, ‘Am I going to make it home to my kids?’ I didn’t know what was going to happen.”

Christina’s surgery was a success but she still has the open wound, which she is receiving treatment for to allow the infection to clear.

She was released from hospital last week after five days and said she has a new outlook on life.

She added: “I’m still healing but I definitely want it to be investigated to find out what went wrong.

“I’m just going to accept myself for who I am now.

“To others considering weight loss surgery, if you can, just eat healthily and go to the gym.

“If I can stop one person going through what I did, I’ll be happy.”

BMI Healthcare told the Daily Record it could not comment on matters relating to individual patients.